Subject: Re: [Leica] Epson Printer Replacement
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 16:55:37 -0400

At 01:52 PM 4/18/01 -0600, you wrote:
>My 3-year-old Epson just bit the dust this weekend (you'd be amazed at how
>many tiny parts are in one of those things...), and I need a replacement.
>I've looked for response to the 980, which is the one I'm inclining toward
>(come on, Eileen), but can't find much feedback from users (LUG archives,
>etc) on it. Would anyone on the LUG care to steer me closer or farther from
>this printer? I'd like to pick up a printer which I could upgrade to Cone
>quadtone someday in the future, and one that won't break the bank now (the
>980 is at US$200 after the rebate).
>
>Many thanks.

If you plan to go with Piezography eventually, the only printers that is
available for are the 760, 800, 850, 860, 1160, 1200, 1520, 3000, and
7000.  I would not get one with small ink cartridges unless the CIS system
is available for it.  That rules out the 760, 800, 850, 860 and
1520.  There is a CIS available for the 1160 and the 1200.  The 3000 and
7000 have large ink cartridges.  Most Piezography users are going with
either the 1160 or the 3000 right now.

None of the chipped Epsons can use Piezography.  You can often find
refurbished Epsons on the internet and on EBay.  I bought both of my
refurbished 3000's for $800 each.

Hope this helps -

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP