Subject: Re: [Leica] ODDS and ends
From: Paul Chefurka <chefurka@home.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 21:16:52 -0400

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:33:35 -0600, John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
wrote:

>I really like the F3 too. Great camera but I could not justify having two
>systems so I sold the Nikon gear.
>
>Leica has stated that they did collaborate in the design of the
>rangefinder/viewfinder on the Hexar RF.
>
>The Hexar RF is also not selling up here in Edmonton either. Quite a few
>tire kickers but none sold. In the same time period they have sold many more
>M6-TTLs than normal.
>
>John Collier
>

>> From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
>>
>> 1. If you want a "mechanical " Nikon, it's the F3 not the FM2, simply in
>> terms of the 100% viewfinder - incredibly bright and easy to use with
>> glasses....yes, I know the price is about double....
>> 2. The rest of this was volunteered by the sales guys, not something I
>> even asked them about:
>> *  They swear they were told by the Konica rep that the Hexar RF was
>> indeed a joint Hexar-Leica development deal and was meant to be the
>> equivalent of an M7, but Leica didn't approve of the end result, and so
>> Konica went it alone;
>> * The RF is absolutely NOT moving.

I kept my F3 as well, to use with the 180 and maybe soon the 300.  I
sure can't afford Leica prices for the R8 and the equivalent lenses,
given the amount I use them.

I can't understand why the RF isn't selling - it must be the lousy
engraving on the top plate.  As a camera design, I think it represents
a humiliating defeat for Leica.  It's an M7 in all but name,  If
Konica made another model with a .9x viewfinder, I just might list all
my M6's some Friday.

Paul

Replies: Reply from "Dante A. Stella" <dante@umich.edu> (Re: [Leica] ODDS and ends)
Reply from Lucien <director@ubi.edu> (Re: [Leica] ODDS and ends)