Subject: [Leica] Weddings with Leica
From: LEICAMAN56@aol.com
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 01:06:00 EDT

I spent last Saturday shooting a wedding with 4 Leicas and 1 Nikon.  I had a
range of lenses for the M; 15/3.5, 24/2.8, 35/1.4 ASPH, 50/1.5 Nokton, 75/1.4
and TriElmar.  Oops, almost forgot my Thambar. Yes, Thambar.  I was going
after "that look" for some photos.  This lens is very hit or miss, so we'll
just have to see what comes out.  I believe in usiiing my equipment.  Leicas
were M6 TTL LHSA, M5, M2 & R7 with another raft of lenses.  Nikon N70 with
80-200/2.8 and SB 24.  Metz 45 with R7 and new style 28-70.  SF 20 with M6
TTL.
Guess which camera and lens combo got used the most?  M6 TTL with TriElmar
and SF 20.  Next used was the R7 & and 28-70.  Next up, the N90.  Used the M5
with 75/1.4 and M2 with 24/2.8.  Because of overcast day, needed flash most
of the time, so M2 and M5 didn't get as much use as usual.  Shot 29 rolls of
film over 10 hours.  The bride referred to the Leicas as the "quiet cameras".
 Every time I do one of these jobs it just reinforces what a joy the M's are
to use.  Even though I used the M6 most of the time with the SF 20 on a
Contax remote cord, the flash only used up one set of not so fresh CR 123
batteries.  I also required a new set af batteries for the M6.  You realize
you need new batteries in the camera when the flash doesn't fire.  This
sucks, as the button cells were new, but lasted no where near as long as the
flash batteries.  IMHO, this is the Achilles heel of the TTL camera.
This job also reinforced how much I hate autofocus SLR's and SLR's in
general.  I only use them because they handle some situations the M can't.
Long lenses and AF on occassion.  Thank goodness those situations are few.
You can't beat the M for eaase of focus in low light, great finder thats so
easy to see through.  The TriElmar is a delight to use and allows me to leave
most in my bag.  With flash, the f4 lens speed is no problem.  Shot between
5.6 and 8 to be in the lenses sweet spot.  The SF 20 with remote cord works
like a dream.
Look forward to seeing the negs and prints.

Bill Rosauer

Replies: Reply from Lucien <director@ubi.edu> (Re: [Leica] Weddings with Leica)
Reply from "onetreehillclw" <onetreehillclw@compaq.net> (Re: [Leica] Weddings with Leica)