Subject: Re: [Leica] A CHANCE TO .../ now A LEICA CHALLENGE
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 25 Apr 2001 12:05:02 -0700

On Wed, 25 April 2001, "B. D. Colen" wrote:

> > That's OK BD you can use your Nikons WHEN EVER YOU WANT!!
> > :)
> >
> > Mark Rabiner
> >
> Can I, Mark? Gosh, thanks.;-)
>
>  But that's not the point. The point is, here are 23 images, all shot on
> the same film, developed at the same place in the same crappy chemicals,
> some shot with Leica M glass, some with Nikon glass - and a few with
> those cheapo Cosina lenses. Given how frequently we hear how the Leica
> Admiration Society members can pick out an image at 100 yards in the
> dark on a foggy night, let's see how well people do picking.
>
> B. D.

I'm one of those who can see the difference between photos made with R glass and those made with N**** hardware, and given the parameters of this game I doubt anyone will see much difference (aside from the obvious, i.e., a 180mm image is probably a Nikkor).  Given B&W jpg images from negs processed in crappy chemicals viewed on a computer screen, I'll pass on this game.

I see the difference with Kodachromes or good E6 stuff on a lightbox, a decent projector, or a high-resolution scan.  I also see a difference in my own compositions in that there are lighting situations I avoided with Nikkors because of lens flare that are not a problem with the R lenses.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe