Subject: [Leica] Re: C-41 process b&w films
From: leica@rakitzis.com
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 14:13:45 -0700

Look at the Kodak portra press release. This film is DESIGNED to print
well on color paper.

There must be a whole lot of morons out there who Kodak is trying to
satisfy.

Here's what Kodak says in the Q&A:

Does PORTRA 400BW Film replace any other product in Kodak's portfolio?
       No. This is an addition to the PORTRA Film portfolio.

What's the difference between PORTRA 400BW Film and KODAK PROFESSIONAL T400CN Film?
       PORTRA 400BW Film is our best professional film for obtaining
       black-and-white prints on professional color paper. We've improved
       PORTRA 400BW film beyond T400CN Film capabilities so that it
       prints close to other PORTRA Films. PORTRA 400BW Film makes it
       easier for labs with automated equipment to obtain high-quality
       black-and-white prints...and without changes to their workflow.

       T400CN film is for printing on silver-halide photographic
       papers. This film may be preferable for commercial labs, advanced
       amateurs, and students who use manual enlargers for printing to
       conventional black-and-white papers, as it provides a brighter
       image on the enlarger easel.

Can I print PORTRA 400BW Film on black-and-white papers?
       For optimum performance, print PORTRA 400BW Film on professional
       color negative papers such as KODAK PROFESSIONAL PORTRA III
       or SUPRA III Papers.  We do not recommend printing this film on
       traditional black-and-white papers as the result will be less than
       satisfactory. For best results printing on black-and-white papers,
       use a traditional black-and-white film such as KODAK TRI-X or
       T-MAX Professional Film.

This is from:

	http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/films/portraBW/qAndA.jhtml;$sessionid$GCEBTSQAAGTERQHIO2SHWGA

Byron.