Subject: [Leica] RE: Leica Users digest V19 #336
From: Sanjay Nasta <snasta@microassist.net>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 15:10:14 -0500

Logan,

I went to Alaska last summer (end of August-beginning of September).  We
took a cruise up from Vancouver.  Some of the more spectacular sites were in
College Fjord and Glacier Bay--these are definately places not to miss.  I
know there are short cruises from Anchorage and Seward that will take you
out to Glacier Bay.  I have pictures that my wife took (with a Coolpix 990)
on photo.net at:  http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=53304

If you go when the salmon are running definately go by a salmon hatchery--I
liked the small one in Ketchican better than the commercial one in Juneau.

Denali's Park was spectacular as it was transitioning into Fall.  Basically
you have to take the bus in (special permits aside).  You can get off the
bus and hike and get on the next bus with a spot.  Be aware it is very easy
to run across a bear in Denali when hiking.  On the bus we saw at least 8-9
bears.  With a Nikon 80-200 x 2x the bears did not occupy a significant part
of the picture.  Take a good pair of binoculars with you to Denali.  We also
saw eagles, mountain sheep (little dots on the top of a mountain really),
moose, etc. in Denali.

Next time I go back I want to explore things that aren't on the beaten
path....