Subject: Re: [Leica] BE AWARE OF CRAPPY CURRENT LEICA QUALITY CONTROLS!!!!
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 21:01:15 -0700 (PDT)

Barney Quinn, Jr. wrote:
(snip) . . . I have things narrowed down to an R8, an F3 which comes
with some great glassware, or a new EOS body with a 28 to 70 f2.8  L
lens. I need an SLR because I do a lot of close ups of flowers. (I've
heard, by the way, that the Leica 60mm macro is a hell of a lens.)
Metering is a key issue for me. I believe that photography is really
paining and writing with light, and I do a lot of work in
tough lighting situations. A great deal of my stuff is back lit.

What am I getting into if I get the R8 and the 28 to 80 mm zoom. One of

the best cameras in the world? Or a piece of overpriced jewelry not
made in Germany by a company who can do nothing right and who is on the
verge of going out of business equipped with a with a Sigma lens that
only someone with more money than brains would buy all of which will
brand me as an idiot who can't manage his money when he is seen in
public with it?
Barney,

I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed with the R8 or the 60mm
Macro-Elmarit-R lens. I'm also sure you wouldn't be branded an idiot!
As to overpriced jewellery, the R8 is, perhaps, rather large to be
considered jewellery; it's really a work-horse. It's excellent for
macro work, having mirror and aperture lock-up that is very easy to use
(touch the shutter release once to lock and then, when you're ready,
press it again to take the shot).

The 60mm lens can serve just as well for macro or general purpose
photography, giving a flat field, uniform sharpness from the centre to
the edges of the frame, beautiful colour rendering and good bokeh.

Unfortunately, Leica has not addressed the needs of the macro
photographer when it comes to flash but I believe you can find
solutions from indepenent flash manufacturers.

I know little about the other cameras you mention but I doubt if they'd
be better than the R8 for your purposes - provided you can live without
autofocus, of course!

Hope that helps.

Regards,

=====