Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica R8
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 20:41:03 -0700 (PDT)

Roland wrote:

I just bought a R8 used, with out instructions. Can someone please help

me with two questions:
1.  How does the F setting ( flash meter work? )_
2.  Can u use 2 cam lenses, which I have for my SL2, on the R8?
Roland,

1.  Attach any flashgun, which must be in manual mode (i.e. not TTL or
auto mode) if there is any choice. Switch on the flash and select F
mode on the R8. This automatically sets the metering method to
selective ('spot') metering. Select what you estimate to be a suitable
lens aperture, allowing for the film speed, flash intensity and
distance to the subject.  Select a shutter speed of 1/250 (or slower).

When the flash has 'warmed up' and is ready, you can test the aperture
you have selected by aiming the camera at the subject (or at something
you consider the equivalent of 18% grey) and pressing the depth of
field lever all the way down. This will fire the flash but will not
take a picture.

The light balance display in the viewfinder and the LCD display on the
rear panel of the camera will show the deviation from correct exposure
up to max. deviation of + or - 2.5 ev. You can then alter the aperture
setting by this amount to give correct exposure. E.g. if you selected
f/8 but the exposure meter shows -2 ev, you need to increase the
aperture to f/4. You are then ready to take a correctly exposed picture
using the flashgun.

2.  No, you cannot really use 2-cam lenses with any R camera because
the linkage between the aperture setting and the camera body will be
lacking. You need 3-cam or (3rd cam only) lenses. If you want to use
your existing 2-cam lenses, you can have the third cam fitted by Leica
but I don't know how much it costs.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

=====