Subject: [Leica] leica nikon or canon for macro work (was quality control)
From: Kyle Cassidy <cassidy@netaxs.com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 09:59:52 -0400 (EDT)

>(snip) . . . I have things narrowed down to an R8, an F3 which comes
>with some great glassware, or a new EOS body with a 28 to 70 f2.8  L
>lens. I need an SLR because I do a lot of close ups of flowers. (I've
>heard, by the way, that the Leica 60mm macro is a hell of a lens.)

dear sweet jesus don't buy the r8 if that's all you want to do. you can
buy an f3 for $300 and a 50mm 3.5 macro + the 1:1 adapter for $150 and
spend the rest on a used m6 and some focusing rails for your bogen. but if
you're looking for a general purpose SLR for macro and other work
(birthday parties, vacations, whatever else it is that the LUG
photographs) the EOS you mention will kick the respective butts of either
of those other cameras. just, PLEASE make sure that whenever you're
walking around with that canon around your neck you have an M6 over your
shoulder so that we don't need to push you into traffic.

kc

p.s. when metering your macro photos, use your gossen luna pro or a grey
card, that's better than using the internal meter in any of the cameras
you mention on a closeup of a flower.