Subject: Re: [Leica] no politics
From: Gerry Walden <gerrywalden@cwcom.net>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 07:37:15 +0100

- --=====================_90614004==_.ALT

I do not usually comment on 'political' issues on this board for various
reasons, not least that they are nearly always about American politics of
which I have little understanding and small interest except when it affects
this side of the pond. There is also a general feeling in the UK that a
mans politics and religion are his own concern, partly based on the premise
that ' you are entitled to your opinion and if you want to be wrong that is
up to you!'

However, I found Odmans remarks very little to do with political questions
in the normally accepted sense of the word but to do with the overall
everyday politics of life and photography. I would therefore feel very
disappointed if he were 'censored' on this board. What I find difficult to
understand is the American fear of anything that may have the slightest of
left wing leaning, and I have personally been castigated by people on this
board for suggesting that you should look at a left wing web site for its
excellent reviews of some major photographic exhibitions. When the biases
of prejudice enter this board to that extent then there is something very
basicly wrong with the make up of the critic rather than people like Odmund.

As far as I am concerned, I enjoy Odmunds comments as long as the politics
stay with a small 'p', but I can live without the blinkered eyes and brains
of some others and use my 'delete' key to great effect.

Just my five penneth!

Gerry
- --=====================_90614004==_.ALT

for various reasons, not least that they are nearly always about American
politics of which I have little understanding and small interest except
when it affects this side of the pond. There is also a general feeling in
the UK that a mans politics and religion are his own concern, partly
based on the premise that ' you are entitled to your opinion and if you
want to be wrong that is up to you!'<br>
However, I found Odmans remarks very little to do with political
questions in the normally accepted sense of the word but to do with the
overall everyday politics of life and photography. I would therefore feel
very disappointed if he were 'censored' on this board. What I find
difficult to understand is the American fear of anything that may have
the slightest of left wing leaning, and I have personally been castigated
by people on this board for suggesting that you should look at a left
wing web site for its excellent reviews of some major photographic
exhibitions. When the biases of prejudice enter this board to that extent
then there is something very basicly wrong with the make up of the critic
rather than people like Odmund.<br>
As far as I am concerned, I enjoy Odmunds comments as long as the
politics stay with a small 'p', but I can live without the blinkered eyes
and brains of some others and use my 'delete' key to great effect.<br>
Just my five penneth!<br>
Gerry</font></html>