Subject: Re: [Leica] Metz flash model with Leica
From: Lucien <director@ubi.edu>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 13:40:39 +0200

Xavier Planellas wrote:

> I'm looking for a Metz flash that can work with my M2 and M6TTL.
>
> Anyone has experience with any particular model?
>
> I also want the flash working in my Nikon N70 with the appropiate
> SCA adapter.

Xavier,

I'm using the new Metz 54MZ-3 (Photokina 2000) with the
M6TTL, R8 and Nikon AF.

In my opinion, it's a vast improvement over the Metz 40MZ family.

The 54MZ-3 offer:

- - Better balance on the camera and on a flash bracket.
(on the 40MZ all the weight is on the front, which may be
not so good for the M6TTL Rangefinder alignment)

- - More space between the flash and the lens (reduces the red
eye effect)

- - The Cobra-Design make also the flash much more easy to
store in a bag than the 40MZ (almost half the space).

- - Accept the Quantum Turbo and Turbo Z (the 40MZ didn't). No
need of AA batteries anymore.
<http://www.qtm.com/quantum/cc_metz.htm>
<http://www.qtm.com/quantum/battery.htm>

- - Accept the Lumiquest reflector (the design of the 40MZ
don't make it easy to attach the Lumiquest)
<http://www.lumiquest.com/compat.htm>

- - The 54MZ-3 is fully compatible with the Nikon AF cameras
and lenses of the last generation and with the R8 and M6TTL.

With the M2 you will need the SCA 301 and cable (both are
included with the flash, I think)
M6TTL (and R8) = SCA3502
Nikon = SCA3402

The new SCA3002 adapters (SCA3402, SCA3502 etc) are also
compatible with the 40MZ-1/2/3/3i flash.
But the SCA3001 adapters (SCA3401, SCA3501 etc) are not
compatible with the new 54MZ-3 and 70MZ-4/5.

<http://www.metz.de/1_metz_2000/m_pages_english/main_index_e.php3?link=4&sub=1&linkname=mecablitz>

BTW, the Nikon SC17 extension cable (TTL) is fully
compatible with the M6TTL (and R8).

<http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/EXT-FLASH/NIKON/NIKON-ACC.html>

Lucien