Subject: [Leica] Dan's Eleanor Roosevelt story
From: Mark Langer <mlanger@ccs.carleton.ca>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 13:09:10 EDT

If this story is true, Dan, then Eleanor and the sailor were stealing
lines from W.C. Fields.  The exchange appears to be adapted from the end of
the Fields film It's a Gift(1934), where his character, Harold Bissonette,
has spent his life's savings to buy an orange ranch.  The orange ranch
turns out to be a dust bowl, and a disconsolate Harold begins to drink his
troubles away.  But Bissonette discovers that his land is the only place
where a grandstand can be built where the sun isn't in the spectators'
eyes for a racetrack that is under construction adjacent to his property.
The owner of the track tries to swindle Bissonette by offering far less
than the property is worth.  Harold turns down his offer and asks for an
astronomical sum. The track owner makes a lower offer and Bissonette says
"You're crazy".  The owner counters "You're drunk".  "Yes," says
Bissonette, "but tomorrow I'll be sober and you'll be crazy for the rest of
your life."

The other possibility is that Fields was moonlighting as Eleanor
Roosevelt's gag man. :-)

Mark