Subject: [Leica] Re: Facts revisited
From: brougham3@yahoo.com
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 10:07:29 -0500

imxputs@ision.nl wrote:

>To be precise: if the optimum quality of a lens is 100 lp/mm, then a handheld
>shooting can reduce it to 20 lp/mm with low contrast. A defocus by .2mm will
>also reduce the optimum to 20 lp/mm. This being the case, any test with
>handheld shooting will mask the defocus reduction.

So what's wrong with a visual inspection, then?  If you can't see any
degradation, does it matter if it is present?  From a practical standpoint,
what's it matter if the theoretical limit is 100 lp/mm for a photographer
who hand-holds 95% of the time?

I ask because I seek your expert opinion, Erwin.  I'm genuinely curious.
Does the defocus problem only really matter if you're using a tripod, slow
film, and trying to get close to the theoretical maximum?  If hand holding
already degrades the image, how important does the mismatch between Leica
lenses and Hexar bodies become?

Thanks!