Subject: Re: [Leica] LUGgers using their cameras? Perish the thought!
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 21:08:02 -0700 (PDT)

Johnny Deadman wrote:

well, on the other hand...

...just as playing with a band hones your musical skills and playing an
opponent better than yourself improves your game faster than any amount

of scale-playing or ball control exercises respectively (though you
have to do those as well)...

...getting your work 'out there', if you are emotionally robust enough
to take the criticism it may draw, really raises your game as a
photographer more quickly than you can on your own when it's just you
and Photoshop.
Absolutely! I can't wait to get my hands on a decent scanner, set up a
website, display what I consider to be my best photos and get the
benefit of other people's opinions. I truly believe that what you say
is correct: there's no better way of improving.

Of course, it would be nice to receive complimentary critiques from the
experts but it would be far more useful if they can tell me where I've
been going wrong, how they would have improved each shot, and so on.
Harsh comments can be hard to take, of course, but they're not usually
intended to cause offence, it's just that some people don't have a good
bedside manner. But the feedback is of great value, whether palatable
or not.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

=====