Subject: Re: [Leica] Jupiter-9, how heavy thy burden?
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 11:29:47 -0700

>How much does the Jupiter-9 weigh?  I'm curious how much it weighs in
>comparison to Blunt Instrument--my 85/1.9 Canon.  Blunt Instrument is
>solid brass and chrome, so it only comes out for special occasions like
>the theater, a dinner or pub, or when I might need to defend myself.  No
>way I was going to schlepp that thing all over Italy.
>
>Thankfully, my 90/4 Elmar did yeoman service, including some nice
>wide-open "portrait" shots of statues in the dimly-lit Vatican museum.
>
>--Peter

I haven't weighed the lens, but like Dante says, it is lighter than the
current 50 Summicron and balances beautifully on a LTM body.

I've found this lens to be a bit of a challenge - not only for the focal
length, which is not especially my forté (as we  [incorrectly] say in
English) - but for correct focus when shooting at f/2.

I generally shoot in low light, and tend to use my lenses wide open. I find
that when shooting with the Jupiter 9 at f/2, I must be moving the camera
slightly when I move my eye from the RF winder to the external VF because,
on a series of recent portraits, the plane of focus was not on the eyes -
which is what I had focused on - but on the backdrop just behind the
subejct's (in this case, a small child) head.

Gotta keep working at it.

Guy