Subject: [Leica] Talk to your favourite camera maker
From: leica@davidmorton.org
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 16:23:16 +0100

Pascal wrote:

"I find it hard to believe how they can organize and find participants for
all their photo trips in German. There must be fewer German users than
foreign users of Leica gear and the prices of the trips are quite
expensive so in any case only a fraction of all current Leica users
worldwide could be interested."

Pascal

I gave up trying to understand the workings of Leica's marketing people, and
attempting to determine any signs of a coherent *strategy* a *long* time
ago. :-)

The Akademie has some excellent English speakers, two of whom expressed
considerable enthusiasm for the task of running English language photo
trips.

However this is a circular problem: while there aren't enough takers for the
courses that the Akademie offers in English, it won't extend English
language coverage, as long as the English courses offered are just those
aimed at beginners, there won't be a strong take-up (how many established M
users have the humility - or indeed the need - to attend a beginners
course). And round we go.

However I feel the answer lies in communication; there seems to be an odd
reluctance among many Leica aficionados to *talk* to the folk at Leica. It's
almost as if many of Leica's customers regard the company - and its staff -
as distant Gods, designing and making the equipment *they* want to make on
some Olympian mount far away, and deigning to send down the fruits of their
labours to the humble acolytes assembled meekly below.

This isn't true. Leica *wants* to be a commercially responsive, customer
driven business, because the management know *perfectly well* that this is
what's needed if the company is to survive in the modern world.

If there's something you want, try asking for it. No there's no guarantee
you will get what you want in the short term, nor even at all, but Leica is
a commercial business, and like *any* business it stands or falls on the
insight it can gain into the requirements of its customers. Why do you think
they're LUG subscribers, and significant (I stress significant) messages
posted here find their way to the staff at Solms who're responsible for the
topics covered? I know some here claim this doesn't happen but Leica's own
staff say otherwise.

- --
David Morton
dmorton@journalist.co.uk