Subject: RE: [Leica] supporting leica!
From: leica@davidmorton.org
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 14:56:27 +0100

George Lottermoser wrote

"One of the problems with Leica (as a professional tool), which
Nikon and Canon do not suffer from is remarkable after sales,
professional support. If you're a pro and need a lens at major
media events - Nikon and Canon will give you one to use for the
duration - not just walking around "home town" for an hour. The
Nikon and Cannon equipment is also available for rent almost
anywhere in the US. Which means if I need one special lens for a
day or a week, I can get the job done. I know of nowhere that I
can rent Leica equipment."

I was talking about what Leica offers to people who attend the Leica
Akademie, something which is open to anyone. I'm not sure it's fair to
compare that with what Nikon offers on its VIP scheme (an Canon with its
equivalent) since those *aren't* available to everyone.

There is at least one source of rental Leica kit in the UK (albeit with a
rather limited range), but it doesn't make much difference. Leica remains
virtually invisible in the pro field.

I think service and repairs are the main problem, they can take *months*,
and Leica UK carries *no* loan stock to cover the repair period.

It doesn't matter who you are, you send it back and wait. In comparison with
the VIP scheme this is dreadful. Even compared with Fixation's typical
repair time on Nikon and Canon kit (while you wait, if you're desperate and
they have the parts) - which is available to every pro and amateur - this is
*totally* unacceptable.

What it means, in effect, is that anyone choosing to use Leica
professionally has to be prepared to go out an buy a new lens while the one
they dropped (or whatever) is away being fixed. Well they *would* go out and
buy a new one if they could be sure that Leica UK could get one to them in
less than a month. Again this isn't up to standard; Leica UK keeps *very*
low stocks and is *notorious* among dealers for long delivery times.

So if our pro insists on Leica, he or she needs to keep spare lenses in
reserve (in order to work and therefore to eat). Now the price premium of
using Leica glass has jumped from roughly 50% to 300% (because you need two
of each) and all of a sudden the accountant's asking questions.

This is an area where I feel Cosina has helped Leica considerably. You can
by a *set* of spare Cosina lenses for Leica LTM/M for not too much money. No
they're not made as well, no they won't last as long, no they don't have
quite the 'look', but yes they *will* put dinner on the table. If even
that's too hard to swallow I could go and buy any Cosina LTM lens and LTM/M
adaptor this afternoon from any of four or five dealers within a 30 minute
cab ride.

In that sense, at least, Cosina is helping Leica remain a viable option in
the pro marketplace.

- --
David Morton
dmorton@journalist.co.uk

Wapingapo fahali wawili, ziumiazo ni nyasi

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] supporting leica!)