Subject: [Leica] Re: calibration
From: Jack Milton <jmilton@maine.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 10:02:16 -0400

Robert,
 As far as I know the only device claiming to be able to calibrate LCD
screens in Gretag-Macbeth's Spectrolino spectrophotometer
<http://www.gretagmacbeth.com/Source/Gm.asp?part=Products&page=ProductsDispl
ay&id=6848&code=b&typ=product> and its ProfileMaker software. It
accomplishes this by using a Velcro strap to hang the sensor over the
surface of the screen (you can't use a suction cup device on a delicate LCD
screen). This is a fairly expensive solution and I'm sure the other
manufacturers are scrambling to come up with a similar solution as LCD
screens' price drops and quality improves.

 Until then, I'd use one of the software-only, visual calibraton methods
like Adobe Gamma (which comes with Photoshop), or ColorSync's Monitor
Calbrator (on a Mac, at least).

 Most feel that the color uniformity and quality of LCD screens, especially
on a laptop, is not high enough for color-critical work.
- -Jack Milton
http://home.maine.rr.com/jackmilton