Subject: [Leica] Nikkor lens, Konica hood?
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 16:29:23 -0700

Strange as it may seem, I may have reaped a benefit from the
"Konicagate" thread.  Here's why.

My only f/1.4 lens is my 1950s-vintage 50/1.4 Nikkor.  I happily used it
for years on my old IIIf.  There is one problem with using it on my
M4-P.  The Nikkor has a very effective conical lens hood, which is fine
on an LTM with accessory-shoe viewfinder.  On the M, the hood blocks an
unacceptably large chunk of the 50mm frame in the viewfinder.  This
issue was the prime reason why I didn't take it to Italy, opting for my
50mm Summicron instead.

The recent verbal fusilades about Konica Hexar stuff caused me to
re-read the Popular Photography review of the Hexar. I read that the
Hexar's 28/2.8 lens has a screw-in hood with Leica-style cutouts like
the old 50mm Summicron hood.  Hmm, I wondered, would this hood fit on my
Nikkor lens?

Almost.  The Nikkor has a filter ring of 43mm, the Konica 28/2.8 is
46mm.  OK, so I add a step-up ring.  While not providing quite as much
stray light protection as the original hood, the Hexar 28 hood would be
much better than no hood at all.  And I could see the entire 50mm
frame.  Believe me, after 2 weeks of dealing with the M4-P's 35 mm frame
and the Voigtlander 25/4 clip-on finder, this glasses wearer really
*wants* to see the entire frame.

So... Does anyone know if it is possible to buy the hood for the 28mm
Konica Hexar lens by itself?  And if so, how much it costs?
Alternatively, another hood with cutouts might also serve.
Unfortunately, the 50 Summicron hood is too small.

Thanks,
- --