Subject: RE: [Leica] an ethical question....
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 19:49:11 -0500

Kyle

Personally I try and make all the money I can off my relatives.

I'm joking, but only slightly. A long time ago, just after I retired from
shooting weddings a friend asked if I'd photograph his wedding. I thought it
was sort of odd, since he was an extremely close friend. I thought he'd ask
me to be his best man, rather than photograph his wedding. But I lived
several states away and I wasn't sure I could make his wedding. So he hired
another photographer. In the end I made the wedding. I photographed it. I
went back home and printed a bunch of 8x10s. I gave him the prints. His wife
loved them. She raved about my prints, and she blasted the other
photographer's work. She asked for more prints. Even offered to pay. I was
realy busy then. I didn't have time or the desire to print any more up.
(That's, one the benefit of not being the photographer. I only had to do
what I felt like doing).

About two-years later I visited my friend. Hanging on the wall was a wedding
photograph taken by the other photographer. It was a bad photograph. Mainly
out of curiosity, I asked my friend about it. He said that his wife felt
more strongly about the other photographers photographs because she'd paid
for them. I always thought that was strange. Sometimes people place more
value one something when they have to pay for it.

One more twist to this story. I was at my friends house about 2 years ago.
It had been 15 years since the wedding. This time one of the wedding
pictures I shot was on display. I felt vindicated. When I asked about it he
told me that the other photographer's prints had faded and turned yellowish.
That's when I learned that not all professional photographers believe in
fixer.

Sometimes I think if I started all over again from the beginning, I'd never
give away another photograph. Main reason.  I think today I'd be a better
photographer.

Dave