Subject: Re: [Leica] 180mm comparisons
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 18:23:36 -0400

Douglas Landrum <dflandrum@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I have the 180 APO-Telyt-R f3.4.  It's a classic lens made
> originally by Leitz Canada for the US Navy in the mid to
> late 1970's.  It was extremely advanced for the time using
> very expensive low dispersion glass.  It's one of the best
> second generation lenses made by Leitz/Leica and the
> best 180 short of the newest APO's. In my experience, the
> f3.4 aperture is effectively a 2.8 aperture on another lens
> due to the brightness of the light transmission of the lens.
> I can recommend it without hesitation.

I own this lens too and heartily second the recommendation. In fact it's the
reason I bought a Leica SLR in the first place. On a long trip through the
southwest in 1993 I borrowed a friend's R6 along with the 180 f/3.4 and a 60
f/2.8 macro. Of course I was blown away by the 180's quality, leaving me
with little choice but to get one for myself. I've since replaced my first
Leica SLR, an R4, with a Leicaflex SL2 but the 180 APO-Telyt is still my
favorite SLR travel lens.

- -Dave-