Subject: Re: [Leica] 180mm comparisons
From: "Douglas Landrum" <dflandrum@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 18:36:26 -0700

The Rev'd. Cason writes:

I am in the market for a 180mm lens for my r6.  I have
decided on an APO lens because I will want to use the APO
extender from Leitz later on.  There are two lens for sale
on Ebay.
One is "for Leica R"  Angenieux DEM 180mm 2.3 APO-R  and the
other is the well known LEICA 180/3.4 APO- R.-ROM.  Does
anyone have any experience with the Angenieux lens.  I  want
to use this for wildlife photography and sharpness and
contrast is important.  All things being equal, I would opt
for the faster lens because of the extender, but I don't
really know if all things are equal in this comparison.  Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Rev'd Cason:
I have the 180 APO-Telyt-R f3.4.  It's a classic lens made originally by
Leitz Canada for the US Navy in the mid to late 1970's.  It was extremely
advanced for the time using very expensive low dispersion glass.  It's one
of the best second generation lenses made by Leitz/Leica and the best 180
short of the newest APO's. In my experience, the f3.4 aperture is
effectively a 2.8 aperture on another lens due to the brightness of the
light transmission of the lens.  I can recommend it without hesitation.

I also recommend that you don't use either lens with an extender unless you
already have one.  It will not give you a very close focus or give you good
ergonomics for handling.  Instead, I recommend that you get a 400mm f6.8
Telyt for about the same price (or less) as an APO extender.

I don't know anything about the Angenieux, sorry.

You can see some recent shots taken with my 180 with the LA LUG at:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=121017

You can't see the full spectacular performance of this lens on a JPEG posted
to the web - but I assure you that it's there.
Good shooting,
Doug

Douglas F. Landrum
Laguna Beach, California