Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Dry film process??
From: "Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 09:15:55 -0500

Here's the link to Applied Science Fiction, and I'm
surprised at your surprise, it has been getting lots of play
in photo mags, trade and popular.  This "News" is well over
a year old.

http://www.appliedsciencefiction.com/asf.asp?page=products
(link may wrap)

The product is called Digital PIC.

Digital PICT Features :
Development of 35mm and APS Film
Real-Time Digitization
No Plumbing or Hazardous Effluents
Consistent Image Quality
Simultaneous Output to Multiple Formats
Internet and Broadband Ready
Compact Footprint
Adaptable Configurations

From: "Harold Gess"
I think the key may be in the date: (BJP, 29 March 2000).

That is the a couple of days before 1 April and I think it
may have been an
April Fools date as BJP come out once a week and this issue
would have
covered the 1 April period!

Harold

from bjp:-------------------------
Applied Science Fiction, the Texas-based developer of
digital imaging
technologies, has received an estimated £38 million of
capital in its
latest round of venture funding. The company, which supplies
image
enhancement software to scanner manufacturers such as Acer,
Minolta and
Nikon, is currently developing a revolutionary digital film
processing
technology (BJP, 29 March 2000). In an exclusive test for
BJP, ASF
demonstrated at photokina that its new process allows
digital images to
be taken from exposed but unprocessed film (BJP, 18 October
2000).  The
latest round of private investment, which attracted IBM
among the
backers, is thought to take ASF's total funds raised to
around £62
million. If the digital dry film process proves successful,
it could
change the face of the lab industry: according to reports,
liquid
pollutants and fumes are reduced, allowing kiosks to be
placed almost
anywhere.

Brian McCarthy
brian@imagespace.co.uk