Subject: Re: Re: [Leica] XTOL and Tmax
From: ShadCat11@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 12:51:19 EDT

It is almost certainly developer failure.  Tmax 100 is an excellent, reliable
film.
If you have switched to another film and like it, okay.  But TMX has taken a
bad rap here.

I am now working on my 3d 5 liter batch of Xtol.  Batches 1 and 2 worked
perfectly with all films souped therein and lasted just more or just less
than 1 year before used up.  The developer performed exactly to the standard
claimed for it.   That doesn't mean all those people who reported sudden
failure of the product are mistaken, but it hasn't happened to me.  I do take
a precaution, however, of developing a test strip before committing some
serious photography to the soup.
I hope Mark is right about Xtol reliability, but until the matter is settled,
I'll do it this way.  OTOH, you could use the excellent D76 or ID11 and not
worry about it.

Allen Zak

<< (snip)

I ran Xtol twice this week from months old bottles and all has gone well as
usual.
No Xtol failure ever for this dude and it's getting into the years.

(snip)

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/

It sounds like "Xtol failure".
Xtol failure is what the Newsgroups are calling obviouly when this happens.
When
Xtol Fails.
I think i disagree with the term.>>