Subject: Re: Re: [Leica] model releases etc.
From: ShadCat11@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 16:14:27 EDT

My model release story: I used to do a lot of assignment work for and stock
sales to a large text book publisher.  Model releases were required for
everything.  One day while visiting the editorial offices I happened to
enquire what the company did with the model releases it collected.  One of
the editors dragged out a cardboard box from under a desk, filled almost to
overflowing with what was described to me as all the model releases the
company had collected for the last several years.  During all the time the
publisher ran its photo research and acquisition operations from this
location, it never had cause to open these "files" even once.  Theory was
that the act of signing the release would protect the company from litigation
as well as anything.

I still carry a pad of model release forms in my Domke bag.  The last time I
used it was 1993  (but you never know!).

Allen Zak

<<lea wrote:

> Sam,
>
> I agree, shooting without a release in public in the US is fine depending on
> the final use, ie: fine art prints, but not advertising. I wouldn't think
books
> or mags would publish without a release if the model (subject) is
identifiable.
> Someone else can advise better, I'm sure.
><Snip>

In the US when you tabulate all the court cases. The ones with the model
releases did as well as the ones without. A model release didn't give the
photographer any added security.

Mark Rabiner