Subject: [Leica] WAS:Useful discussion/ black tape? NOW 100 macro use.
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 18:04:03 -0700

Bill in Denver wrote:
>>> The 100mm APO 2.8 is my primary lens - for a number of reasons:
> 1. it is my most recent acquisition and I'm not even close to being done
> experimenting;
> 2. it is so sharp that you can count the molecules in the pores of the
skin
> of your models,
> 3. it's narrow DOF wide open allows for isolation of your subject;
> 4. every time I see my slides from it, my breath is taken away.
> 5. this is an example of it's performance:
> http://www.photobynelsch.com/PAW/11.html<<<<<

Hi Bill,
Sounds like a man after me own heart! ;-) It truly is a beautiful lens and
to get the maximum out of it, one should let their mind and eyes go into
relaxed mode so they can capture images they might not have done with any
other lens.

Actually it's quite magical if you approach it's use without thinking of it
as a "macro lens to do only close-ups with."  Once you get by that thought,
then you begin to "see as a 100mm lens"  and not that it must be stuck in
some rain barrel shooting little squigglies or tight into the flower bed.

By the way,  your PAW shot is very well executed and the lens used in a
manner many on the LUG wouldn't even contemplate with existing available
light. Let alone in colour.
ted