Subject: [Leica] fs 5-18-01 + rumors
From: Photovilla@aol.com
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 03:32:34 EDT

<<And you had to repost his entire large list to ask if he has the latest
Nikon?

a little weak if you ask me.

Try putting up a better front of really being on this list.

Mark Rabiner>>

Hi all,

Please folks, if you respond to my posts, do so by email. It is against list
rules to repost my entire friday list to the LUG -and I understand why- as it
is just plain ugly to see it twice in one day. Especially with all the little
carot thingies... "<<< >>>>"

Also, I don't get a chance to read the LUG every single day (I do often, but
some days I'm too busy) so you have a much better chance of being answered
via email. I think you'll find this with most dealers who post on the list
too. I think it is more or less standard "netiquette" to handle it this way.
Thanks for all your responses always!

Now, how about something for the rumor mill?

I had in my hand yesterday a Minox Prototype digital camera. It was just a
P&S model that is set to sell around $250...but a nice looking little critter
that would fit in your pocket with a fixed 55mm lens. It has a compact flash
memory slot, a smallish screen and viewfinder, USB port and a very basic
control panel. It is my bet that we are going to see lot more from Leica
under the Minox name. Perhaps more digital than "toy" or "submini" cameras is
my guess.

I also heard from a little bird that there will be a new "family" of Leica
digital cameras by Panasonic. It seems that maybe Fuji and Leica weren't so
cozy after running out of Digilux cameras!!?!?

There may be as many as eight cameras in this family I hear...I'm curious to
see what they are like. Panasonic did make the Minilux after all... and it is
a darn good P&S and Leica makes some lenses for Panasonic digital camcorders
apparently. (I don't know about any digital M or R cameras and I would fess
up if I did...)

Lastly, from a more credible source, my Leica rep. tells me Leica now has a
five year plan in place for new product introductions. That to me sounds like
we are going to see lots of new stuff? According to my rep. there have not
been many times in the past that Leica has had such a plan...so that sounds
like good news to me. I haven't heard too much about Leica "dying off"
lately...<g>

cheers,
Rich

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] rumors- in paticular)