Subject: Re: [Leica] rumors- in paticular
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 10:06:09 -0400

Hi! Y'all!

First of all, I want to assure Jim Brick that I am in no way questioning his
expertise...which I find helpful, but I am becoming quite impressed with the
advances being made in digital stuff.
One, I am quite impressed with the specs for the new Canon with the 6
megapixel sensor, and one that is quite large... ( I am surprised that Leica
didn't get chummy with Philips on their digital stuff!- Canon teams with
Philips, and Leica supposedly teams with Matsushita!!- cross cultural
offerings everywhere!)
Even the often disparaged S8iliconFilm is begging to impress me- I saw the
gallery of photos, and for a start, it is not bad- to my consumer eye. I am
sure that Jim has, Roy Batty said-"...Seen things you wouldn't believe...."
But to me, a great unwashed digital user (2nd generation Digilux :o)  !!  )
the results are getting better all the time! I think Jim should be proud,
being a part of that industry, as he seems, to be contributing to these
advances. I agree that digital will never in our lifetimes replace film-
Hellsbells, Photography has been around since 1839, and I know several
people who still do Platinotypes, and I read that you can still get the
materials to make Dauguerrotypes, even at this late date! Shades of the
Anthony Brothers, I bet you roll film will be around even longer!
But the fact remains that digital imaging is here, big time, and here to
stay. I am sure the oldsters, like Marc <G> can remember the pundits saying
that photography would replace painting, but it never happened- it just
became ANOTHER medium, as did Land's Polaroidography, and several other
methods of making images. Man is an image maker- from the caves of Lasceaux,
35,000 years ago, to this esteem group of visionaries, there is something
fascinating about making an image. I even take a pencil in hand betimes and
even <<SHUDDER>>, DRAW A PICTURE!
I am cheered to read the rumours of Leica making some headway in digital-
They can make a great contribution, I am sure. Even the humble Digilux Zoom
had it's shining moments. I have had several enquiies at times on photos I
posted on The Auction Site that Will Remain Un-named, on what I used to make
them as they were very good. I would like to think that it was due in part
to my talent, but I am sure that the quality of the camera helped- else I
would not be using Leicas!
A friend of mine is now experimenting with using his Leica lenses on a Canon
D-30- He strongly believes that the sensor of even this size can be used
with great advantage with Leica optics- I hope to share some of his
experiences with the group!
It is heartening to hear that Leica is still going to keep on the cutting
edge!
Best of light,
Dan (Trying to be optimistic in these strange times) Post