Subject: Re: [Leica] an ethical question....
From: Ron Schwarz <rs@clubvb.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 01:02:35 -0400

At 08:41 PM 5/16/01 -0700, you wrote:

>Five years ago i really totally burnt out and tore up my wedding contracts.

I was a wedding photographer for a few years back in the 1980s, I burned
out on it too.  Too stressful, too many "backwoods" receptions to cover
(with gen-u-wine "trailer trayush (of the single-wide variety) well-soaked
in cheap beer), too many deals where the final print order devolved into a
"discussion" on why they should pay me the contracted price for prints when
the drugstore would do it for a fraction of my price -- if only I'd hand
over the negs (and I wouldn't :)), too may times having to take a number
and stand in line behind the utility company and other "important"
creditors when it was time to get paid... and the final straw was when one
angry jerk -- a college professor as I recall -- threatened to sue me
unless I took down a nice 16x20 I had on display (paid for out of my own
pocket of course), because he found out that I was showing off a picture of
him and his EX-wife!  (I smiled, waved the contract under his nose, pointed
out that I had rights to display my work any way I chose, and said "see you
in court, jerk" and that was the last I saw of him.)

Gee, at least they paid the bill before they got divorced.  I did get
burned on a big finishing bill when a customer -- a "semi-pro" -- used my
over the counter services for a big order, and then stiffed me when *his*
clients stiffed *him* because they got divorced before the order came in.

And Murphy reigned supreme through it all.  Of all the camera breakdowns
I've encountered, all but one occurred during a wedding.  (The one
exception was when a quick release released real quick like and sent my
camera crashing to the floor prism-cover first.)

It's amazing what a grain of rice can do to a nice TLR when it works its
way into the transport gears...

About the only thing that never happened was having the lab eat the negs,
but don't think I wasn't sweating about it each time I kissed the VPS
goodbye.  (And I did have one lab sit on my order for a couple of months,
consitently ignoring me, until one day they returned the undeveloped rolls
with a note saying they'd gone out of business.  MIColor from TC MI as I
recall.  Ouch.)

If you held a gun to my head and ordered me to cover a wedding, I'd say go
ahead and shoot, then cover the damn thing yourself. Heheheheh

Thanks for the memories.  I think. :)

Replies: Reply from "Mark Pope" <mark.teampope@ntlworld.com> (Re: [Leica] an ethical question....)
Reply from Ron Schwarz <rs@clubvb.com> (Re: [Leica] an ethical question....)