Subject: Re: [Leica] an ethical question....
From: Ron Schwarz <rs@clubvb.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 02:33:13 -0400

At 03:25 PM 5/21/01 +0200, you wrote:
>On 21-05-2001 07:02 Ron Schwarz wrote:
>
>> and the final straw was when one
>> angry jerk -- a college professor as I recall -- threatened to sue me
>> unless I took down a nice 16x20 I had on display (paid for out of my own
>> pocket of course), because he found out that I was showing off a picture of
>> him and his EX-wife!  (I smiled, waved the contract under his nose, pointed
>> out that I had rights to display my work any way I chose, and said "see you
>> in court, jerk" and that was the last I saw of him.)
>
>This opens up an interesting question Ron.
>
>A photographer puts up images he made of a wedding (let's say the typical
>bride and groom shot) in his shop window, regardless whether he paid for the
>enlargement himself or not.
>
>Of course, the photographer owns the intellectual rights to his own work,
>but that does *not* take away the necessity for him to obtain consent to use
>or display the image from those represented on it.
>
>It is not allowed to publicly display images of identifiable persons unless
>they have given their prior consent to it (which, from your posting, I
>gather to be the case).

Yup, I used preprinted wedding contract multipart forms that covered all
the bases -- everything from my display rights to payment schedules (each
step of the way there was enough of a payment made so that if the client
went flakey I'd at least have my costs covered).

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] an ethical question....)