Subject: Re: [Leica] Beat the Fungus
From: "Stanislaw B.A. Stawowy" <watteau@krakow.neurosoft.net>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 11:12:45 +0200

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Harold Gess" <Harold.Gess@btinternet.com>
> Hi
>
> Apparently the fungi in lenses, etc. cannot survive exposure to UV light. In
> the past, when I lived in a hot high humidity area, I used to make sure that
> all lenses were regularly exposed, caps off both ends, to some good old
> daylight. I never had any problems. I have been told, but have no
> confirmation, that one can also use a UV tube to achieve this effect.
> Perhaps someone else on the list has tried this or knows what strength of UV
> and for what length of time would be required.

There was a useful discussion on Exakta list about fungi and UV.
Apparently, hard UV can stop fungus grow, but Sun's UV rays can even
hasten the growth of some fungi. Typical UV tubes will do it also..
The best way to remove fungus is undoubtely a fungicide :),
you may also try silica gel in large quantities.
I sent links to info on excellent Robert Monaghan website in my
other letter on the same subject :)

- -----
                                St.

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Beat the Fungus)