Subject: Re: [Leica] model releases etc.
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 08:00:33 -0700

Sam wrote:
>>are you all in Europe?  I am here in the states and it is my understanding
that I only need a model release IF I am going to be using the image for
advertising.  As far as fine art goes and putting the images in books, news
papers, and galleries, a model release is
> not necessary in the United States of America.  Am I missing something?<<<

Hi Sam,
I would be very prudent shooting in the Canadian Province of Quebec
regarding model releases and the uses you pointed out where a model release
isn't required.

I'm sure a LUG member of Quebec will respond here shortly.

But there was a court case, last year?, where a photographer was sued,
certainly hauled into court,  for using a photograph in some simple
situation and did not have the release of the person in the photo.

Hopefully, a Quebecois will fill in the details on this court case and how
the outcome reads... but take care if you're publishing any "people
pictures" taken in Quebec.

This only applies to Quebec and not the rest of Canada.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant