Subject: RE: [Leica] Summilux 50mm f1.4 chrome...vs.... ?
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 18:19:32 -0500

Steve,

My 35/1.4 is the ASPH. It's perhaps the sharpest 1.4 lens I own in any focal
length or system.  The 50/1.4 isn't quite as sharp (Not that it matters).
Also, it has a much different look. I noticed this big time last night as I
was sorting out negatives from several rolls of film that I shot last
weekend. I saw some very obvious differences. Never gave much thought about
bokeh, but maybe this is it.

I happened to be using two M6s -- one with the 50/1.4 and one with the
35/1.4 ASPH, and both with the same film. I shot wide open most of the time.
Normally when I use two bodies I shoot Provia 400 in one and Delta 400 in
the other. In this case, I was shooting the new Delta 400, only. I had to
get a bunch of shots in a short period of time. CWO was backordered on 36
exposure rolls. I had to buy 24. I was worried about changing film.
Serendipitously, I came out of this realizating that it's pretty darn
convenient to have two bodies, both with the same film. I'm sure others do
it all the time. Now I see why. I'm going to do it more often.

Another interesting thing. I kept running out of film in both cameras at the
same time. It was a pain, because I had to change both at the same time. But
it indicates that I don't really have a distinct preference for either lens.

Dave

>.....interesting, sounds like we both have a preference for the 50. I also
have the 35/1.4 pre-asph and the new Summicron 28/2.0 which is better wide
open than the two 'luxes.. At 1.4 I think the 50 has an edge on the 35. But
it is almost a moot point as my wide open shooting is maybe 30%. Anyway, the
50/1.4 is my all time favourite lens with the 35/1.4 second.<

sl