Subject: Re: [Leica] film scanner recommendation
From: henry <henry@henryambrose.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 08:56:35 -0500

>I've missed the beginning of this thread, and I'll likely miss the
>remainder, but just because a printer can print at, say, 720 dpi doesn't
>mean you should send your scanned images to the printer at that resolution.
>  The printer requires many actual printing dots to reproduce one pixel
>from the originating image.  So it is a waste to send a 720 dpi image to a
>720 dpi printer.  For Epson printers using standard Epson drivers, the
>usual rule of thumb is that the resolution of the image being printer need
>not be more than 1/3 the maximum printer resolution.  Thus you will often
>hear people quote 240 dpi as the maximum needed for image densities for the
>older 720 dpi Epson photo printers.
>
>dan c.
Here is a perfect example of the breakdown in terminology concerning
scanning and printing. And its no surprise that it is confusing when the
manufacturers add to the confusion.

Epson printers don't really put down 720 dots per inch when you choose
that option in the driver.

You're not sending it a 720 dots per inch file anyway, 'cause there is no
such thing.

Henry