Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica value as an investment
From: "mdelman" <mdelman@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 06:58:11 -0400

Larry:

Thanks for this well reasoned analysis. It reminds me of a guy I worked with
who was always bragging about the great investments he made in real estate.
He purchased a home for his family, sold it for more money than he purchased
it for, upgraded to a new home, sold it again etc.   This occurred a number
of times and he thought he was a genius.  What he didn't remember was that
all housing prices in the US were rising during the 1980's and 1990's and
that the price of the original house was also appreciating over the same
time period.  He also didn't bother to include closing costs and moving
expenses in the calculation so it may have been a better investment to stay
in the original house.  My guess is that he lost money.  That's OK if you
want to upgrade your living conditions but then the house isn't really an
investment it's a consumable.

- -Mark