Subject: Re: [Leica] model releases etc.
From: "SonC (Sonny Carter)" <SonC@sonc.com>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 15:19:54 -0500

Slobodan Dimitrov says:
> Tell me, how does the itinerant photographer fit in the scheme that's
> been presented so far?

You mean by "itinerant photographer,"  what is also known as "freelance?"
Or are you using the phrase to identify a person who takes photographs as
social record without regard to market value?

I think many of us take pictures just for the joy of it, some use it as a
tool to drive their social agenda, still others of us shoot for vanity's
sake.  The reasons for calling yourself a street shooter, a news shooter, a
documentary photographer, an itinerant photographer, a wedding photographer,
or a (____place your label here_____)  are as varied as the number of names
on the LUG, and more.

I've found it interesting that this discussion has used terms usually used
in sexual description, consensual, for example.   Photographic skill does
bear a resemblance to sexual skill.  Photography can be done by almost
anyone.  You don't have to be a pro to do it well.  You can can do as high a
quality work in the street as you can do in a studio;  Of course,  there's
the famous one, it's not the equipment that matters, it's how you use it.

So, to answer your question, IMHO, I'm not really sure we've arrived at a
scheme for any of us to fit into so far.

Message from S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] model releases etc.)