Subject: Re: [Leica] model releases (now a safer subject, I hope)
From: "SonC (Sonny Carter)" <SonC@sonc.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 19:44:14 -0500

Kim,
After I used the phrase "I couldn't agree with you more, " I went on to
explain the circumstances and limits of my agreement with Dan.

Perhaps because of the preface, you misunderstood that I also agree with
much of what Johnny Deadman stands for in photography, especially his
passion, as evidenced by his latest post this evening and his body of work.
I just draw my philosophical boundary at the general publication of some
street photography, especially when it is demeaning or intrusive.

I like to think that in my days working for the TV station in New Orleans I
had a good bit of that passion; I think it showed on the screen.  I must
have done some of it right because the National Press Photogs Assn., the AP
and the UPI Broadcaster's Associations all gave me nice things to hang on my
wall.

There were times I turned off my camera though. Once I angered the reporter
who thought the pile of burned dead bodies of men trying to escape a fire in
the "Upstairs Lounge" in the French Quarter was suitable fodder for his
report.

On a Christmas Day, a fire claimed the lives of three firemen on Dryades
Street.  I shot film of these men going to their death, and the falling
balcony narrowly missed me.  When I got home my little girl was jumping up
and down with glee over Christmas Morning.

So, there was no major corporation standing behind me that morning.  I was
alone with a Bell & Howell 70dr with Angenieux primes, shooting the hell out
of the grim reaper doing his work.

I left TV news shooting and turned to documentary and commercial work after
that.

I hold no prejudice against street photographers, but I know some who claim
to practice it are prejudiced against tamer work.  Me? I enjoy looking at
and talking about photography and Leica cameras.  That's why I'm here.

Regards,

SonC
http://www.sonc.com