Subject: [Leica] Personal Space and a Lifeless Foto
From: "Alan Hull" <hull@telia.com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 01:01:19 +0200

From Johnny Deadman .
> Real life is not always better than the photograph. Sometimes the
photo is
> better.

You must live in a lifeless world Mr Deadman :-)  I cannot think of ONE
thing that is better in a photograph than in real life.  Well, maybe a
foto of ones own funeral.  Oh I just thought of another.  A close up
foto of an attacking blob of goo from Mars just before it absorbed the
rendered remains of the photographer.  Can't think of another though.

> Moreover, personal space is a social construct.

Not true.  We are animals whether you like it or not.  Try to invade
the personal space of a cobra or a sleeping lion.  Argue the niceties
of social construct with them.  Personal space is not a social
construct it is a physical feeling of awareness of anything that gets
inside your "bubble" that could spell danger. Most things that live, Mr
Deadman, have this personal space that you enter at your risk.  Whether
its flight or fight it is there.  Human beings are no exception.

I know from experience that every time I get away from civilization and
live wild(ish) for months on end, my personal space expands until I can
tell whats going on quite a distance from me.  This is actually the
easy bit.  The hard bit is when I return to civilization and I have to
conciously stop myself from lashing out at people who get too close.
(only little and frail people, of course, I'm not daft.)

Alan