Subject: Re: [Leica] Personal Space and a Lifeless Foto
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 19:27:16 -0400

on 5/26/01 7:01 PM, Alan Hull at hull@telia.com wrote:

>> From Johnny Deadman .
>> Real life is not always better than the photograph. Sometimes the
> photo is
>> better.
>
> You must live in a lifeless world Mr Deadman :-)  I cannot think of ONE
> thing that is better in a photograph than in real life.

Think harder. Fast food. Movie stars. Two boringly obvious examples of a
whole galaxy.

>> Moreover, personal space is a social construct.
>
> Not true.  We are animals whether you like it or not.  Try to invade
> the personal space of a cobra or a sleeping lion.  Argue the niceties
> of social construct with them.  Personal space is not a social
> construct it is a physical feeling of awareness of anything that gets
> inside your "bubble" that could spell danger. Most things that live, Mr
> Deadman, have this personal space that you enter at your risk.  Whether
> its flight or fight it is there.  Human beings are no exception.

Except that different societies have entirely different ideas of what
constitutes personal space. The fact of it may be a given, the extent of it
is socially determined.

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com