Subject: RE: [Leica] More Italy pictures
From: "Jay Burleson" <jayburleson@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 20:16:01 -0700

>Peter wrote:
>I've posted both a color and a black and white version. Which do you
prefer, and why?
I prefer the B&W version.
I know all you shot was Supra 400 color neg. - this is one reason why
Photoshop et. al. was invented.
> Photographs like this are often considered black-and-white territory.
One of reasons I believe that B&W works so well with "photographs like this"
is the ability, thru depth of field and contrast, to really isolate your
subject matter. With color, your eye is so easily distracted by the color
contrast.
To use your shot as an example:
The left & right edges of the color version is fine, but when you try to
look at the beggar, the eye is drawn away by the woman in red and the bright
white shirt further right. Plus the red shelves. None of that adds anything
to the message of the photograph - the beggar.
In the B&W "version", things are better, your eye seeks out the middle of
the photo easier, but the folks in white shirts need a little toning down.
In either version, >I< would (note: That means me & me only!) crop severely
and leave nothing but the beggar.
But, I also would have pre-focused my 35 or 24, at 4 or 5.6 to make sure,
and hit the shutter right in front of him as I dropped a few lira into his
hat...
All in all, it does look like you had a fun time!

Jay Burleson
"There is a thin line between coincidence and fate, my friend."
UPDATED 5-19-01: http://www.jayburleson.com/

Replies: Reply from "Rob McClure" <mcclure@udata.com> (Re: [Leica] I blew it)