Subject: [Leica] Re: heavy duty travel cases
From: "Sal DiMarco,Jr." <sdmp007@pressroom.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 13:46:01 -0400

Luggers,
    There are about twice as many opinions on this subject as there are Lug
nuts.....
     Exactly, what case you use is a personal choice.
    Just make sure they are securely locked and have name tags INSIDE and
out.
    I completely agree with Ted, carry a basic kit with you and your film.
Some airports are X-raying checked baggage with machine which have a 100%
record in fogging film.
    Personally, I have bright red covers for my Halliburton cases. Using a
cheap suit case as a cover is another good idea, as is Lightwares' Ugly
Case.
    Someone recommended using black cases. Well, the problem there is if
they have to go back to the cargo hold and look for your black case, they
might not find it when they wave their flashlight around. One photographer I
know has reflective yellow stripes on his travel cases.
    While everyone has horror stories, most checked baggage goes through
safely. But using a very good dose of common sense never hurt.
Happy Snaps,
Sal DiMarco, Jr.
Philadelphia, PA