Subject: Re: [Leica] High Altitude Photography
From: "Jacques Bilinski" <jbilin@axionet.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 18:26:02 -0700

My few pointers for high altitude photography:

- -When you are climbing and your heart is pounding hard your ability to hand
hold at slow shutter speeds is *greatly* diminished so opt for high shutter
speeds (at least 2 or more stops faster than when rested).
- -Try and catch the sunrise and sunset. This is when you get some your best
shots.
- -Make sure your camera is accesible enough. It's a shame to loose out on
good shots because you are too too tired/sick to take your camera out of
your backpack.
- -I stay away from polarizers for high altitude photography. I also find the
black sky (even without a polaraiser) to be unatural.
- -Start the day off with 36 shots in your camera and keep an eye on the
counter. Depending on the temperature, conditions etc you might want to
avoid changing films while climbing.
- -Take a minimum of photo equipment to minimise weight and hassles. A WA
lense is what I prefer at altitude.
- -With Leica Ms one potential problem is that you can burn a hole in the
shutter if you are unlucky. This can be avoided with a lens cap or training
yourself to set the aperature to the minimum F stop when not taking a photo.
- -Lithium cells and Silver Oxide cells are both good at low temps (I believe
lithiums may be better). Stay away from alkalines.