Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital cropping
From: "Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 09:34:08 -0500

Sam said,  among other things:
>>I left it there for a number of reasons.  The most
important was that the other eleven images were all full
frame with the black border.

SonC pulls out his soapbox, and climbs aboard:
That's an editing issue, not necessarily just a cropping
issue, but cropping is also an editing issue.   Does a "no
cropping anytime" stance mean you don't also burn or dodge
shots in the darkroom? How about pushing or pulling the
film?  What about paper types?  Contrast filters?  What if
you just hate the picture for no discernable reason?  How
much of a purist are you going to be, and where do you draw
the line?

Reminds me the joke about the girl who would not do "it" for
ten dollars, but reconsidered when offered $10,000.  Either
you are a cropper, or you're not.

I personally am real happy to have my Nikon Coolscan.  It
has enabled me to go back through my transparencies and crop
some images that could not have been saved.

This is not golf, I don't have to "play the ball where it
lies" anymore.   This very issue is one of the reasons I
turned away from slides for a lot of years, in that I had no
control of the final output.

If you shoot editorial or commercial work, you might as well
crop it yourself before the art director's assistant gets
his hands on your shot; with the exception of (most)
Photography and Arts magazines, he'll be ruthless.

Here's one I think I saved from just being a bad snapshot by
cropping. (Maybe now it is simply a good snapshot!)
http://www.sonc.com/cowboy.htm

Regards.

SonC
http://www.sonc.com

"You can't always get what you want, but if you try,
sometimes you might just find you can get what you need."
The Stones

Replies: Reply from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: Digital cropping)
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Digital cropping)