Subject: [none]
From: Herbert & Lee Kanner <kanner@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 11:20:01 -0700

P.S.  Does anyone know why Leica has never updated the shutter in the M6?
Nikon has had a manual shutter with a 1/250 flash sync in the FM2 for over
ten years now.  Has Leica ever given a reason for not updating the shutter?

The focal plane shutters with fast flash sync use multiple
overlapping metal blades.  I would hazard a guess that they are not
as quiet as a cloth focal plane shutter such as on the Leica.  It is
only a guess, because the mirror causes noise, so that I can't
separate the mirror slap from the shutter click.  Neither my FM2 nor
my FE2 appears to have a mirror lock.  I can get partial lock by
using the self-timer, but then the shutter noise still combines with
that of the mirror's return.  Perhaps someone with an model that does
have a mirror lock can tell us how noisy those shutters are.

Herb
- --
Herbert Kanner
kanner@acm.org