Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: cropping, personal opinion
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 13:46:48 -0500

Jim

>>This is probably one of the most inane topics bandied about on the LUG.

Cropping.<<

You penned a pretty long response for an inane topic. I think it's a very
important issue, which is why I brought it up. I think Henry understood my
original point exactly when he said that we should all take the approach
that we aren't going to crop, i.e. that we frame as carefully as possible at
the time we click the shutter. Then, if we need to crop later to improve the
image, so be it.

My point was that digital has taken me away from that mindset. I expect to
crop every image. Heck, it's even fun to crop.
Years ago my instructors led me to believe that cropping was bad -- a
neccessary evil, at best. I don't think I frame as carefully as I used to.
In fact, I know I don't. Nobody today ever asks me if I cropped. They don't
ask to see the original negatives. I remember vividly when I won top honors
in a photo essay. Later my professor demanded to see my conact sheets. He
wanted to see how carefully I composed the shot originally. The goal back
then was to capture the image in the viewfinder.

I'm more concerned about the mental approach than actual cropping. I think
losing the "full frame" mindset is a bad thing. OTOH, I don't think cropping
is bad. It seems to me that emphasis has moved away from the point at which
I click the shutter to what I can do on a CRT. If that's inane just look at
photography today compared to prior decades. Is it getting better or getting
worse?

Dave