Subject: [Leica] re: pose your subjects
From: Kyle Cassidy <cassidy@netaxs.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 13:25:08 -0400 (EDT)

someone posted the following photo advice:

>6. do not pose your subjects

which reminds me of something i wanted to mention ... i stumbled across
the most FANTASTIC book called "exile at home" by a photographer named
frederic brenner. he photographed 14 families, twice a couple years apart,
and DAMN if his posing of multiple subjects doesn't kick butt. i was
floored looking at his composition. i can't find any of his image on-line
to reference, but i opened the book up in the store and without turning
from the page i opened to, bought it. it has made me re-think much of what
i'd thought of posed photography. that and mary ellen mark, who isn't
against posing subjects. i think the enviornmental portrait is an enviable
skill -- one i don't have, but one i'd love to learn. run, don't walk,
to the book store, but not if you're carrying scissors, please.

kc