Subject: Re: [Leica] No more leicas
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 12:54:50 -0700

Simon Lamb wrote:

> I was using a Contax N1 at the weekend and was really pleased with the dual
> AF/MF capability.  There were instances where I just couldn't get the thing
> to focus on what I wanted.  One shot was of a fairground attraction that was
> moving at speed and I wanted to focus on one particular aspect of it.  The
> AF was certainly focussing but just never seemed to get the spot that I
> wanted, even in continuous AF, so I went to the manual focus and got it spot
> on.  I just couldn't be sure that the AF was going to give me the picture I
> wanted, and the hunting was certainly not helping matters.  After a few
> years with an F5 I am beginning to see the advantages of MF that can
> outweigh the conveniences of AF.
>
> If AF appeals but the ability to switch immediately to MF, or use MF always,
> is a consideration, then the N1 hits the spot.  No switches or buttons on
> lenses to fiddle with, just turn the ring and focus manually.  Not as bright
> a finder as an R8, but a great camera to use.
>
> Simon
> ><Snip>

This and the 645 can be set up so when you want it to focus you hit the back of
the camera with your thumb and it stays there. Other than that focus it your
self if you want but for me the thumb thing just worked! I love Contax and have
thought about going that route instead of R for my SLR minor needs. And I'd kill
for the Contax 645 for a lens or two.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA