Subject: [Leica] Voigtlander 21,25,35 for Nikon Rangefinder
From: Stephen Gandy <leicanikon@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 13:30:31 -0700

Today was like Christmas, I received on loan a set of pre-production
Cosina Voigtlander lenses for Nikon and Contax Rangefinders, the 21/4,
25/4, and 35/2.5.   This is the 1st time wide angles have been made for
Nikon Rangefinders since  the mid 1960's.   It is also the first time
multi-coated optics have been made for NRF, with the exception of the
new 50/1.4 on the Nikon S3 2000.   Scheduled are one production of each,
for  2500 35/2.5's,  700 25/4's,  and 1500 21/4's.  IF they sell quickly
Cosina will make more, perhaps even other focal lengths.  If not,  this
may be the one and only run.    Optics are the same as  Voigtlander
Leica screw mount optics of the same f-stop and focal length.  The
barrels and mounts are very well finished, almost like the classic
Nikkors.   The black / chrome style is the only one being offered -- no
silver or black choices here as on the screw mount Voigtlanders.   It's
really nice to see some new lenses available for NRF.   My understanding
is that while the lenses are made to the NRF specs,  they will fit and
work fine for all practical purposes on classic Zeiss Contax
rangefinders as well, though the barrel helicals are slightly different.

All show a very strong family resemblance, styled after the black /
chrome wide angle Nikkors of the late '50s and '60's.  They look so much
like the classic Nikkors, from a distance of 5 or 6 feet away, they
could be mistaken for each other.   All of the new Voigtlanders take the
same push over lens cap, the same 43mm filters, the same rear cap, all
have detachable screw in lens hoods, all couple to the inside helical
for focusing  by  the index finger focusing wheel.  Alternatively, the
lenses can also be focused by turning the outer lens barrel.   Since the
lens barrels rotate, each lens has a double set of aperture settings so
you will can see one or the other as the outside barrel rotates.    A
neat accessory I don't have yet is a clamp on fast focusing lever.

The 21 and 25 are sold with brightline finders.  The 21 NRF finder seems
identical to the one sold for the same lens in Leica screw mount.   The
25 brightline finder is new,  the 25 finder for Leica mount lenses is
not a brightline.   I don't know yet if the Leica 25 finder will be
upgraded to a brightline, or if  the brightline will be offered as an
upgrade.

Current plans are for the 35's to start shipping in early July,  the
25's in early August,  and the 21's in early Sept.   I'll be taking
shooting  these pre-production samples, as well as taking shots of
them,  to update my NRF Cosina Voigtlander page next week  at
http://www.cameraquest.com/frames/4saleNRFVoigt.htm

Stephen Gandy