Subject: [Leica] Re: best travel monopod
From: Ernest Murphy <ernestmurphy@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 15:47:42 -1000

I like relatively heavy tripods (Gitzo Reporter series), but for travel
and just knocking around, I buy the cheapest, lightest  four-section
monopod I can find. It costs about 20 USD, made of aluminum. I usually
add a very cheap ball head although I'm not sure it is needed. Unlike
with tripods, I have found no shooting advantage to a heavy monopod.
(Your situation may vary; I use no big lenses.)  I lose monopods
frequently, and live in a place where the high petty crime rate makes it
foolish to keep anything valuable in a vehicle. I like having a monopod
in my car at all times. No fancy shoulder bracket attachments; I
practice the yoga of becoming a human tripod, with the monopod as the
third leg. Works for me.

Ernest Murphy