Subject: [Leica] New M6 mistake. Please not that !
From: V8PWR@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 14:20:42 EDT

Hello all .
This afternoon I'm having a phone call from a friend , a young guy
who shares the same hobbies : Drag racing and increasingly ,
photography .
Guess what I've got in my hands , he said ?
A brand new M6 TTL and a 50 Summicron + SF20 Flash !
My parents just offered it to me for my 25th birthday .
Very nice gift .  This one is gonna be a keeper , I thought .

I must admit that I'v got my part of influence in that wonderfull
gift .
So an hour later , my friend showed up at home , with the thing
in hand .
The dealer had offered to install everything on it , but his parents
prefered to give him the brand new camera sealed , knowing that
he would come home for a live explanation .

So I let my friend open the box , and quickly read the initial procedures .
He installs the battery , put the Summicron in , set the speed selector
to some value , arms the shutter , looks through the finder , depresses
the shutter button , takes a shot and ....
says no led is coming in the finder !
I try the M6 myself , and must confirm that nothing illuminates in the
finder .
So I remove the battery , and check it with a voltmeter : 3 volts dead in ,
good battery .
But the camera is not working .
Now I take the battery from my own M6 , installs it in his , and the damn
thing still doesn't work !
Guess what it was ?
The little sticker , indicating the +/- direction in the battery button , was
apposed backwards !
Where is Leica quality control ?
Fortunatly , this didn't seem to burn anything . But we decided to leave it
like that as a proof , just in case we burned something without noticing .
My friend showed the camera to the dealer , who checked the other cameras ,
which were good ....

JO GOODTIMES -FRANCE/ AIRBORNE RADAR TECH / LIVE FREE OR DIE
will soon walk with mud covered combat boots...